Monday, October 09, 2006

the amish way

Last week, a "civilian" entered an amish school in PA and executed 6 little girls. He then killed himself. The amish community, completely justified, could have lashed out to America with some judgemental statement and in essence separated themselves even more from the world. Instead, they met with the murderers' wife, brought her food and spoke forgiveness to her. They took notice of her present reality that she is a widow and alone with 3 children. When her husband had his funeral, 100 people attended. 50 or more of those were the amish.

The amish way is something we all should stop and seriously look at. There's a simplicity and humility toward life that is awe-inspiring. As well, there's an awareness of a Creator and a grateful submission therefore that they adhere to that is foreign to the majority of people in North America.

Embarrassingly, I have been judgemental of the amish and presumed that their separation from the world served no purpose. Dear God, was I wrong. Never before do I think I've heard the gospel proclaimed in a more clear or powerful way... in such a simple, profound, devoted, and authentic way.

No comments: